Thursday, January 5, 2017

No Money, Some Problems

I'm pretty sure everyone who reads this blog already knows exactly why I'm writing this from Utah instead of Idaho, but in case someone missed the memo (because I am, after all, an award winner at not telling people things) I'm here because, well, I lost my job.

There isn't much of a story to tell, except a short and sad one. I was hired working part-time with the goal that I'd bring my case load up to full-time by early this year. At the time I was hired, the company was getting a lot of new clients. But over the summer, we lost clients right and left. I was willing to be patient because I loved my work, but-- you know how I kept joking about being dirt poor? That's because I was donating blood plasma twice a week to be able to afford both rent and groceries at the same time. And you know I have a history with that profession. (Though the place I went to in Boise was much more professional than where I had gone before, so it really wasn't so bad. A bit of poking and a couple of hours sitting in a chair playing a game on my tablet, and I came out with forty dollars-- my parents were more unhappy with the arrangement than I was.)

So I really shouldn't have been surprised when my boss had to come to the decision at the end of October that the company just didn't have enough business to sustain three therapists. I was upset to leave, of course-- I loved my job, I had amazing roommates and good friends, I'd just started some volunteer work with tutoring refugees at a local high school, and there were so many adventures I hadn't managed to get around to yet. I loved my clients, and I'd come to love the area. But I understood why it had to happen, and all in all it's probably for the best.

That gave me about two weeks to prepare my clients to switch therapists, find a replacement for my contract in my apartment, and get packed up to move home with my parents. The plan was to go home until I could find a job.

And, well, I'm still looking. Not very many places are hiring right now, and I've had a few promising leads turn out to be disappointments. Discouraging, to say the least. It's hard not to feel like I've lot of "adulting cred", now that I'm unemployed and living in my parent's basement. But now that the holidays are over, it's time that I start looking for, well, any kind of job, even if it isn't a music therapy job. At least something temporary that can pay for health insurance and gas while I try to find a job I can love.

Man, 2016 really cleaned me out. I had a great time, but I lost all my money, my job, and my car, not to mention having to move all my stuff three times in one year. Here's to hoping that 2017 is better.

So where does that leave this blog? Well, I have a few stories from my time in Boise that are still halfway written, and older stories that I think will entertain. Lately I haven't been getting out much, but I've still managed to have one very crazy adventure that I think will be the subject of my next post. So despite the hiatus, I'm not planning to walk away. After all, life doesn't stop being weird because you leave Idaho.

See you soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment